Mexican-Inspired Sweet Potato & Sour Cream Soup
Creamy soup inspired by Mexican flavours with a bit of heat.
This soup is an absolute must-try if you love Mexican flavours. It’s creamy, spicy and has a tinge of sweetness. The perfect weeknight meal, we’re sure that this soup will be a regular recipe at your house.
We used Blue Bay Dairy sour cream and cheddar in this recipe because we love the quality and freshness of their products. We’d recommend using high quality dairy as it elevates this dish. You can make this dish dairy-free by either emitting the sour cream altogether or substituting with a plant-milk like soy.
We left the skin on the potatoes as there’s really no reason to peel them. The skin has great nutritional value, makes no difference in the taste and saves preparation time.
The best part about this recipe is just how easy it is. You’ll be surprised at how quickly it all comes together, with little fuss and clean up it’s perfect for those nights when you want to just relax outside of the kitchen. If you have a slow cooker, you can also throw all of these ingredients in the morning and dinner will be ready once you’re home.
The great thing about this soup are the toppings. You can enjoy it on its own with some cheddar grated over the top or have some fun by adding salsa, jalapenos, corn chips, crusty bread, charred corn, coriander – the list is endless! This soup is a perfect twist on a traditional taco night.
Serves: 4 – 6 People
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 35 mins
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes (Diced, Skin on)
- 1 Diced White Onion
- 2 – 4 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 400g Canned Italian Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Beef-Style Stock Cube*
- 1 Cup Blue Bay Dairy Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Diced Pickled Jalapenos
- 2 Tbsp Jalapeno Pickling Liquid
- 1 Can of Corn Kernels
- 1 Tbsp Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (Optional)
- 2 Cups Water
- Corn Chips
- Blue Bay Dairy Vintage Tasty Cheddar
- Chopped Spring Onion
*We love using Massel stock cubes in our recipes which are both vegan and gluten free as it keeps the soup vegetarian and gluten free. You may substitute with a regular beef stock cube if you wish.
- Sauté the onion until translucent then add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the corn kernels and sweet potatoes and allow to cook until the corn begins to brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients, adding more water to cover the sweet potato if needed, then cover with a lid and allow to cook until the sweet potato is fully cooked through (around 30 minutes).
- Blend the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth.
- Serve with optional toppings of corn chips, salsa, Blue Bay Dairy Cheddar and Spring Onion and enjoy!